Historically, the basement has been reserved for those things the family would rather not see or that would interfere with the domestic bliss they were cultivating in the main living areas of the house. Everything from wine to water to laundry facilities to equipment used to cultivate the land were all stored out of sight under the house. But despite the fact that virtually no one farms anymore or needs huge areas for wine casks, basements in the Toronto area still come unfinished. At Milman Design Build we specialize in basement renovations that turn this enormous unused space into the most valuable part of your home.
The Many Faces of Basement Renovations
When people think basement renovations they typically think a big open room with a pool table in the middle and a few posters on the wall. But that’s not what we do. What we do is transform this big underappreciated space in a way that dovetails perfectly with your vision and your needs. A basement renovation from Milman Design Build could result in any of the following:
- A home office.
- A home entertainment center and bar.
- Additional bedrooms for your growing family.
- A second living room.
- An in-law suite.
- A fully tripped out home gym.
- A rental apartment.
- A home workshop.
- Climate controlled storage for your valuables.
- A transitional space joined to an outdoor kitchen or patio.
- A children’s play area.
There is virtually no limit to what can be done with your basement space. And once you have the basement you want it will transform the entire experience of your home in ways you never imagined. It’s like moving to a larger, more luxurious home without actually moving.
Enhance the Value of Your Home
Here are just some of the ways a finished basement adds value to your home:
- Outstanding ROI – Basement renovations offer one of the most attractive ROIs of any home remodeling project. On average this type of project returns upward of 75 cents on the dollar. That’s almost as much as a kitchen remodel and more than most bathroom remodels.
- Added functionality – Depending on what kind of renovation you have done a finished basement will potentially add more functionality to your home than any other type of project. It’s like adding an entire floor to the home.
- Creates a healthier environment – All types of dangerous molds lurk in the average basement. A basement remodel will seal the basement against intrusive moisture, eliminate the specter of harmful bacteria circulating through the house and make your home a healthier environment for everyone.
- Increases structural integrity – A damp unfinished basement is not only a potential breeding ground for harmful bacteria and molds, the moisture the emanates from there also works ceaselessly to undermine the structural integrity of your home. A finished basement eliminates this assault on your home’s integrity and ensures a longer, more valuable life.
- Enhances energy efficiency – During the winter having an unfinished basement is like having a giant ice cube under your home. It sucks heat out of the floor above and makes your furnace work harder to keep the house warm. A finished, insulated basement will make your home far more energy efficient.
- Keeps the kids home – Teenagers typically go where the fun and action is. A finished basement with a home entertainment center is going to give them less reason to wander in search of fun. You’ll rest easier knowing where they are.
- Keeps the family together – One of the biggest challenges facing families these days is what to do about aging relatives who are still healthy but may need a bit of help from time to time. Turning your basement into a fully finished apartment will help keep the family together and allow your mom, dad or in-law to retain their dignity while remaining an active part of the family unit.
The Bottom Line
The days when the basement sat 90% empty and rarely visited are over. Today, Toronto homeowners are seeking to maximize value and that means finishing the basement. Our team of talented and dedicated designers and craftsmen will help turn your dark, moldering cellar into the center of your domestic world and all for a price that’s surprisingly affordable. So what are you waiting for? Give Milman Design Build a call today and get started.